Beanies fit nicely into a sock. Stockings are the best part of Christmas for this very reason.
We’ve always been light on the gift-giving: each child receives two to four gifts under the tree, plus a stocking. The husband and I don’t exchange gifts at all (why on earth would we need to?). For some unknown reason I suddenly decided, while we were all having dinner together before the holiday, that our boys are ready to transition entirely to stockings.
Our family has all we need and more. The gift-giving craziness is just not something we engage heavily in, although a little of it was fun when they were small. But the youngest is now 10, and they are ready to grow up a bit.
So between bites of ham, my mouth decided to announce it before my brain had actually had a chance to consider it first. The amazing part is that everyone seemed pretty fine with the idea. Guess they like the stockings best too. Of course, I have pretty awesome kids.
Here’s what the Ice (age 12) received in his stocking this year. Each one was a bit different (the Maker’s had a pocket knife and sharpener, the First had a pink LA Boxing beanie, etc.), but this gives you a pretty good idea of how much fun fits into a sock.
- Justin’s Natural Almond Butter (squeeze pack)
- Axe brand “Shock” shower gel
- Jelly Belly 20 flavor box
- Wrigleys “Elixir” gum, 3-pack
- No Fear “Bloodshot” energy drink
- Personalized business cards and holder (Cool idea, Gram!)
- Crossword puzzle book
- Tantrix puzzle
- Colored erasers and paper clips
- Glo Beez toy
- Magnetic bookmark
- Hershey Kisses
- Mini Twix Bars (I required a tithe of these)
- Axe shampoo/conditioner and deodorant
- Giant light-up color-changing bouncy ball
- Turkey jerkey
- Black LA Boxing beanie